Listed as threat by Microsoft Security Essentials

Mar 10, 2010 at 6:24 PM
Edited Mar 10, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Today, 3/10/2010, after a fresh install of Image Resizeer on Windows 7 32bit,  Microsoft Security Essentials freaked out when I tried converting some images.  Here's the error: 

Category: Exploit
Description: This program is dangerous and exploits the computer on which it is run.
Recommendation: Remove this software immediately.
Microsoft Security Essentials detected programs that may compromise your privacy or damage your computer. You can still access the files that these programs use without removing them (not recommended). To access these files, select the 'Allow' action and click 'Apply actions'. If this option is not available, log on as administrator or ask the local administrator for help.
Items: 
file:C:\Users\dis\Pictures\2010-03-10 2001Odyssey\2001Odyssey 003 (Large).JPG
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?name=Exploit:Win32/MS04028!jpeg&threatid=2147572455

Category: Exploit

Description: This program is dangerous and exploits the computer on which it is run.

Recommendation: Remove this software immediately.

Microsoft Security Essentials detected programs that may compromise your privacy or damage your computer. You can still access the files that these programs use without removing them (not recommended). To access these files, select the 'Allow' action and click 'Apply actions'. If this option is not available, log on as administrator or ask the local administrator for help.

Items: 
file:C:\Users\Admin\Pictures\2010-03-10 2001Odyssey\2001Odyssey 003 (Large).JPG

Get more information about this item online:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?name=Exploit:Win32/MS04028!jpeg&threatid=2147572455

Aug 22, 2010 at 2:19 PM

I have the program installed on a Windows 7 computer, but it's a 64-bit version of WIN7, so I don't know if that's the difference. Microsoft Security Essentials give me no trouble when using Image Resizer.

Let me ask this: when you installed IR, did you right-click the installation file and select "Run as Administrator" or did you simply double-click the installer file? It seems that some programs, especially those that access the internet or have some componernt which allows them to write to a hard drive and make changes to files, really need to be installed "as Administrator" so the program is granted the proper "rights" to do its job.

You might try uninstalling IR and reinstalling, using the "Run as Admninistrator" option and see if that changes anything.